Our Mary puppet was the first head to be made. She was the work of Birstall Girls’ Brigade, who originally made her as “Gladys the Land Girl” for the Big Lunch they prepared for the church in the Summer. It had a 1940’s theme.
Since then Gladys / Mary has had her lipstick toned down (too many people couldn’t cope with the idea of Jesus’ Mum with bright red lips!) But she’d also lost her multi-coloured hair and become rather startlingly bald. However, she is now very demurely veiled, save for her dark fringe, care of work by Daphne and Sabina from St Theresa’s Roman Catholic Church in Birstall.